Sunday 21 October 2012

A slightly different creative attempt...

Panda 50th birthday cake
Cake decorating - a potential new hobby?!
I'm going to diverge from the silversmithing posts for just one minute to wish my Mum a very happy 50th birthday!

I made her this cake to celebrate: lemon drizzle sponge, with regal and fondant icing giant panda and bamboo. I thought a Chinese theme would be quite fitting for my Chinese mum! Excuse the rubbish camera-phone picture - it doesn't do much justice to the awesome edible gold sparkly dust on the 50.

It''s my first ever attempt at baking an iced cake, so took me a few hours - modelling with fondant icing is much harder than I first imagined. I also had a bit of a time trying to take it 200 miles to my Mum's house, but luckily the little guy survived. Looking online through some of the amazing cake creations some people have made, I'm actually quite tempted to learn cake decorating properly. Looks like another fun hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...